Wednesday 12 February 2014

Wednesday - Reflected upon riches


Prayer:  Father in Heaven,  by the power of Your Holy Spirit, purify me from being too wrapped up in myself.  Keep my mind from wandering  and my thoughts pure.  Help me to understand what I read and let it deepen my love for You.  In Jesus’ name.  Amen.

            Read James  5: 1-6

James opens this portion of his letter with two words that reflect back into the Prophets of the Old Testament.  These two words are “weeping” and “wailing”.   The rich will be weeping and wailing because they stored their riches instead of using these riches to help the poor.   Remember that the Church in Jerusalem tasked all new believers with helping the poor, the widowed, and the afflicted.  So how do  these verses affect us today?  How do each of us  help the poor,  the widowed, and the afflicted?      During this time of  Annual General Meetings,  how has your Church helped the poor, the widowed, and the afflicted?    What about all the Churches that have money stored in Bank Accounts, GICs, Bonds, Mutual Funds?  Is storing riches what the Church is all about?

Prayer:   Divine Healer,  help us to seek You out today!  Open our ears so that we can hear Your call to do Your will.  May we serve You today in helping the poor, the widowed, and the afflicted.  In Jesus’ name I pray.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment