Saturday 23 March 2013

Saturday and Sunday - Lent 6 - Palm Sunday

Saturday March 23
Before you begin the prayer and devotional today,  take time to prepare yourself.   Sit in a comfortable chair.   Focus upon Jesus. 
As you breath in,  repeat in your mind the phrase “Jesus lives in me”.
As you breath out,  repeat in your mind the phrase,  “Jesus love goes out to everyone”.

Prayer:  Give thanks to the LORD,  for the LORD is good.  The LORD’s love endures forever.   You are my God and I will  give You thanks.  You are my God, and I will exalt You.  Give thanks to the LORD,  for the LORD is good.  The LORD’s love endures forever.  Amen.


Read  Psalm 118

This Psalm is a song of thanksgiving.  The people had just returned from the Exile and are rejoicing.   This Psalm is often used for the feast of Tabernacles and the early Christians used this Psalm as a Song of Thanksgiving. 

The Interpreter’s Bible Commentary suggests that this Psalm can be divided into six parts… or six petitions.    Psalm 118: 1 – 4  is Israel giving thanks.  Verses  5 to 9 are the Lord’s Answer to the Psalmist.   Verses 10 to 14 are the Nations that surrounded the Psalmist.    Verses  15 to 21  celebrate the victory for the righteous.    Verses 22 – 27 is a Hymn for the Temple.    Verses 28 – 29 is the Doxology.  In this Psalm the doxology is an acknowledgement of faith and gratitude to God.

As people heading into Holy Week,  how do we read this Psalm?      Where ever you see the word “Israel  or “Aaron”  or “house”  put in  the name of your Church.    Where ever you read the word “nation”  put in the word  sin.

Prayer:  Give thanks to the LORD,  for the LORD is good.  The LORD’s love endures forever.   You are my God and I will  give You thanks.  You are my God, and I will exalt You.  Give thanks to the LORD,  for the LORD is good.  The LORD’s love endures forever.  Amen.


Sunday  March 24   Palm Sunday
Before you begin the prayer and devotional today,  take time to prepare yourself.   Sit in a comfortable chair.   Focus upon Jesus. 
As you breath in,  repeat in your mind the phrase “Jesus lives in me”.
As you breath out,  repeat in your mind the phrase,  “Hosanna.  Hosanna in the Highest”.

Prayer:  Hosanna, Hosanna, Hosanna.  Glory to God in the Highest.  World with end.  Amen.


Read  St. Luke 19: 28 – 40

Reflect on this Scripture readings.  Ask yourself:
*  How does this Scripture reading apply to me?
*  I ponder   the actions, gestures and emotions of Jesus from this Scripture reading. 
 *   What touched my heart about this scripture?   What did I find difficult?
   *   Was there something I would like to return to?
   *   Was there a phrase of verse that I would like to remember?

Prayer:  Jesus Christ,  my Lord and Saviour,  You call me to follow You and to become like You.  You call me to live in communion with God and with each other.  I do not always know where you are leading me but I know that You lead me beside green pastures.   Jesus Christ,  Son of God,  I love you with my whole heart and soul and mind.   Hosanna, Hosanna, Hosanna.  Glory to God in the Highest.   Amen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment