Tuesday 28 May 2013

Tuesday - the Church as servant

Prayer:  Christ be with me, Christ within me, Christ behind me, Christ before me, Christ beside me, Christ to win me, Christ to comfort and restore me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me, Christ in quiet, Christ in danger, Christ in hearts of all that love me, Christ in mouth of friend and stranger. I bind unto myself the name, The strong name of the Trinity; By invocation of the same. The Three in One, and One in Three, Of whom all nature hath creation, Eternal Father, Spirit, Word: Praise to the Lord of my salvation, salvation is of Christ the Lord.  (www.churchyear.net/trinityprayers.html)

Read Luke 16: 10 – 13

Jesus continues to tell the disciples that if they are honest in small things,  then they will be honest in big things.  

Jesus asks the disciples,  “If you’re not honest in small jobs, who will put you in charge of the store?  No worker can serve two bosses:  He’ll either hate the first and love the second or adore the first and despise the second.  You can’t serve both God and the Bank”  (Luke 16: 12 – 13.  The Message  Navpress 2005).

Reflecting back upon the parade of the shifty manager –  was this manager honest in small things?  Probably not.    Then when it came time to be fired,  the shifty manager was not honest in  the larger things either.  The shifty manager only looked out for himself.

 How is the Church portrayed within each of our communities?    Would business leaders say that the Church is frugal to the point of being Scrooge – like  in always asking for deals or hounding the business leaders for free items?   Or would business people say that the Church is a spiritual and physical oasis for those in need?


While many of  our denomination’s Churches are land rich and building repair poor,  we must remember that if we are honest in the small things,  then we will be honest in the big things.   The Church must remember to give the first fruits – give the best for  any event or ministry – to think creatively with the monies and volunteers that we have.      If we give our best and not constantly ask for deals,  then our Church becomes a spiritual and physical oasis for the whole community.   This is the beginning of servanthood.

 Today,  meditate upon how your Church is a servant.

Prayer:  Christ be with me, Christ within me, Christ behind me, Christ before me, Christ beside me, Christ to win me, Christ to comfort and restore me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me, Christ in quiet, Christ in danger, Christ in hearts of all that love me, Christ in mouth of friend and stranger. I bind unto myself the name, The strong name of the Trinity; By invocation of the same. The Three in One, and One in Three, Of whom all nature hath creation, Eternal Father, Spirit, Word: Praise to the Lord of my salvation,  salvation is of Christ the Lord.  (www.churchyear.net/trinityprayers.html)

No comments:

Post a Comment