Tuesday 5 February 2013

Tuesday - faith anytime, anywhere

Prayer:  Amazing God,  from You all knowledge is given.  From You all love is formed.  From You all hope is given.   May we be Your servants today in sharing Your knowledge,  Your love,  and Your hope.    This we faithfully ask in Jesus’ name.  Amen.

Read  St Luke  7:  6 - 10

Jesus sets forth to go to the house of the Centurion when the Centurion sends some friends to Jesus saying, “Lord, don’t trouble yourself, for I do not deserve to have you come under my roof.”     Could it be that after the elders left,  the Centurion sat at home and thought of the cultural taboo?   A Jew could not enter the home of a Gentile without becoming unclean.    It just wasn’t done.       The Centurion goes on to say, “That is why I did not even consider myself worthy to come to you.  But say the word, and my servant will be healed.” 

“Say the word and my servant  will be healed”.  Goodness.  This is a great statement of faith from the Centurion.   Then the Centurion goes on to say, “For I myself am a man under authority,  with soldiers under me.  I tell this one, ‘Go’ and he goes;  and that one, ‘Come’ and he comes.  I say to my servant, ‘Do this’ and he does it.”

The Centurion is also stating publically that he believes Jesus has authority…. authority of God to heal.    Why even the disciples and crowd didn’t understand Jesus’ authority so quickly!

Jesus is amazed at the Centurion’s faith.   Jesus then says, “I have never found such great faith even in Israel!”      The Centurion believed in Jesus.      Amazing.

Then the men who had been sent returned to the house and found the servant healed.  

How does this great story reflect on our lives today?  This story reminds us that the love of Jesus and great faith can come to the most unlikely persons.   God calls each of us, anytime and anywhere to be followers of Jesus.  This story also reminds us that as we bring the Good News of Jesus to our community,  our community is watching how we live our life.    This day,  remember that You are the hands and feet and voice of Jesus.

Prayer:   Jesus Christ,  Son of God,   we are Your hands and Your feet.  Remind us yet again that we are also Your voice.  Whatever we are to do today,  may we do with Your great love and enthusiasm.   If we are to sit,  may we spend time in prayer.  If we are to stand,  may we share Your love.  If we are to travel,  may we show mercy upon those we meet in our travels.  This we ask in Your Name.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment