Saturday 4 January 2014

Saturday - Eleventh Day of Christmas.


Prayer:  Holy Mighty,  I reflect upon Your words this day.... words from the shepherds who came to see Your Son.... may we go share the Good News.    Great God,  during this New Year,  may I ponder this day  upon Your Holy Word.  In the midst of all that I must do today,  keep me centered in Your Word, O LORD.  In  Christ’s name I pray.  Amen. 

Epistle.   What does that word mean to you?  An epistle is a writing directed or sent to a person or group of people. For the early Christians,  the Epistles were written to Christian communities through the Middle Eastern world to help them in their new belief.   These writings were  usually in a letter format  and  very formal.  Most of the Epistles have a greeting,  the reason for the letter, advice given,  and a closing blessing.   There is only one Epistle where Paul was so disgusted with the Christian Community,  that he ditches the Greeting.   Wow.  Paul must have been annoyed!    Most of the Epistles in the New Testament are  traditionally attributed to Paul and known as Pauline epistles.  Yet, we are also blessed to have Epistles written by many other Apostles of Christ or early Christian leaders. James,  Jude, 1 and 2 Peter, and 1,2,3 John.   These Epistles are known as General or Catholic Epistles.  The Catholic Epistles were not addressed to a single community but were written for the whole Church… the Church universal.   This  is why these Epistles have the name of “Catholic Epistles”.   Remember during the Early Church,  the word Catholic  meant all Christian communities as there were no denominations.     As you read through the Epistle of James this month,  you will begin to hear the love that James had for new believers.  He was writing to help new believers become GREAT BELIEVERS and mature Christians.  This is true to this day as well.  

Prayer:  All that I am, Lord, I place into Your hands.  All that I do, Lord, I place into Your hands.  Everything I work for, O Lord,  I place into Your hands.  Everything that I hope for O Lord,  I place into Your hands.  The troubles that weary me O Lord, I place into Your hands.  The people who hurt me O Lord, I place into Your hands.  For everyone that I care for  O Lord, I place into Your hands.  In Christ’s name I pray.  Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment